CIMA DI FURCIA ROSSA II (2644 Altitude)
Beautiful and quite demanding tour. From the peak the view over the Tofane is wonderful.
From the Lavarella mountain hut climb to the Jù de Limo (2172 m) and descend as in itinerary n. 12 to the hut at Gran Fanes (2102 m). Continue for a short section to the South, turning left in direction of the wide Valun Blanch (white gully).
Keep on the right of a visible bank and outflank it over smooth inclines heading for the northern base of Peak III. Circumvent another modest elevation (2201 m). Afterwards turn left (East) and cross the base slopes of Peak III, arriving at the the entrance of the Valun dl Fossè, a wide hollow between the peaks I, II and III, which ends with a high saddle. Complete a wide half-circle to the left and head for the steep jump at the base of the north-western side of Peaks I and II, where it appears more easily approachable and dominated by a beautiful an very visible cirque, enclosed between the Peaks I and II. After bypassing the step, climb up the cirque keeping on the left first and heading for the crest. This is accessed South-West of the fix crossroads Baccon-Barborska at 2670 m altitude, with a short ascent leaving your skis on.
4 - 6 hours
Retrace the ascent itinerary. From the peak follow the short ridge section and reach the north-western slopes which descend to the upper cirque. This is outflanked on the right, by the short terraces of Peak I lying above. Enter the bottleneck which permits the exit from the cirque. After descending the steepest slope of the base step, reach the underlying Valun dl Fossè. Descend freely in NW direction and, turning West, cross the slopes at the base of Peak III again. Always in north-western direction, circumvent the 2201 elevation and the consecutive bank exiting soon in the hollow of Gran Fanes. Follow the usual itinerary to the Lavarella hut.
- Just like S1; some soft terrain irregularities and hollows. The descent is free
- The slope is more marked (30° ÷ 35°). It is not always easy to proceed in a straight line; it is necessary to bend more often, the terrain opens giving a certain degree of route choice
- Terrain very steep, narrow space, sometimes exposed. it is not possible to bend to one's liking, as the bends are imposed by the terrain difficulty and shape
- Good skier: he can confidently engage in S3 descends; he can manage descends ot the higher difficulty type as well, as long as they are not continuous or very long
- Ski skins
- Tour for compact snow conditions