FURCIA DAI FERS DE FORA I (2534 Altitude)
FURCIA DAI FERS DE FORA
Furcia dai Fers and southern ridge
From the Lavarella mountain hut, go down the valley in northern direction, passing by a group of mountain huts by the road, until you reach the snow tongues at the base of Monte Sella di Fanes.
The ascent starts from here using a serpentine itinerary, avoiding the area covered by dwarf mountain pines until reaching the entrance of the narrow gully descending from the Furcia dai Fers. The gully is quite steep, so it is better to do the ascent without skis, keeping the right on the last section, thus reaching the saddle (Furcia dai Fers). Climbing on the right (E) you reach the ridge which connects the two summits (Dont de Fora and Dont da Ete).
Following the ridge in northern direction you briefly reach the peak. The ski depot is right under the summit, by a rock formation.
2 - 3 1/2 hours
It is not advised to descend on the same itinerary, as it is not very rewarding. It is preferable to descend on the east gully: Le Cù (the funnel). It starts from the maximum ridge depression between the two peaks and flows, after a wide S turn, into the clearing of the Lé (lake) Piciodel.
From the summit, descend on the ascent itinerary until the ridge depression (steep slope), leaving the climb path. Descend in eastern direction on the fairly sloping terrain of the funnel until the incline starts to get more marked. From here keep the right, staying at the feet of the Dont de Furcia dai Fers da Ete, until reaching a wooden crest (quite steep, though wide and uniform). Descend keeping the left, thus avoiding some unpleasant hollows and rocks, towards the above mentioned lake and the trails ascending from Pederü.
- Just like S1; some soft terrain irregularities and hollows. The descent is free
- The slope is more marked (30° ÷ 35°). It is not always easy to proceed in a straight line; it is necessary to bend more often, the terrain opens giving a certain degree of route choice
- Terrain very steep, narrow space, sometimes exposed. it is not possible to bend to one's liking, as the bends are imposed by the terrain difficulty and shape
- Ski skins
- Pay attention to the sections with snow blown in by the wind
- Knowledge about the snow features are necessary
- Tour for compact snow conditions
- Possibility of avalanche risk in some sections with unfavourable snow conditions
- Escursion for fresh snow as well
994 m (Pederü)